Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day XXXI: RuPaul's Big Opening Part 2

It's the second part of the big opening!

Let's jump right into things by taking a look at second set of seven divas.

Bianca Del Rio
Bianca Del Rio is a sassy bitch. I am getting the feeling that she'll be the narrator of this season. She's always waiting in the wings with a snarky quip or cutting commentary on her competition. After winning the first challenge, I fully expect Bianca's personality/ego to swell gloriously. I am very much looking forward to her making it to the reading mini-challenge. I think she will just tear these girls apart. One thing that worries me about Bianca: she can be a little mean! And it's always so calculated and intentional. I don't find her to be mean-spirited, but I worry that she's got some deep cuts lined up for these girls.

Trinity K Bonet
After roughly 14 seconds of interaction with Trinity, Bianca confessed: "Trinity reminds me of a dear friend of mine from New Orleans. She's dead." And I have to agree! There was no pizzazz! She's a gorgeous queen, obviously, and I love that her mom is her manager, but there's not much else going on here in the way of humanity. I anticipate her getting to the middle of the game and faltering around 7th place simply because she won't be able to keep up with the girls ahead around her.

Joslyn Fox
I actually like Joslyn a lot more than I thought I would. She's completely air-headed and bubbly and saccharine. She reminds me a ton of Jade Jolie from season five. I don't necessarily think that Joslyn's sweetness will play well throughout the competition. It's not that she'll be easily targeted or picked on or read because of her simple behavior. With the girls in this season, I don't foresee that being an issue. What worries me is that she'll be complacently pretty and sweet and expect that to carry her a long way. 

Milk
From day one, the very first time I saw her Meet the Queens video, I've been waiting for this moment, for Milk to enter the work room. And she did not disappoint. She's so conceptual and editorial in her appearance: she's like this great cross between Raja's runway intelligence and Manila Luzon's clever-but-campy chic. I loved her entrance look. Trinity referred to it as "circus" and, yeah, it was, but I don't think that Milk would ever see that as a bad thing. She sticks to her guns and is no one but herself: I think that's incredibly commendable.
Magnolia Crawford
There are very few queens in the history of this show that I dislike more than Magnolia Crawford. She might actually be the least likable contestant in the history of the show. I'd put her right up there with Serena ChaCha and India Ferrah and Milan. I have nothing nice to say about her, so I'll Thumper my way out of here.

Courtney Act
Seriously: FISH. Courtney Act is so funny and cute. Her entrance ("Is this America's Next Top Model?") is one of the best in the history of the show. She's very aware and conscious of herself and the way she comes across to others. I find her more and more impressive each time she hits the screen. 

Darienne Lake
Yes. Yes. YES. Darienne Lake was giving me everything I needed last night. She was confident and funny and charming. She had a ton of sass and so much charisma; I would find it hard to believe that anyone would dislike this queen. As Pandora's drag mother, I was expecting a lot from Darienne, and she was on point and ready to go from the minute she walked in to the room. Yes, she fumbled in the challenge, and her lipsync wasn't anything to write home about, but I expect that to light a fire beneath her in the upcoming weeks of this competition.

Favorite Quotes from the Night

Bianca: She looked like a fucking swordfish. She could flip pages in a book!

Darienne: My name is Darienne Lake, I'm 24 years old, and I'm a compulsive liar. (she's 41)

Milk: And that contoured nose to death! Who are you pointing at?

RuPaul: You can't keep a good ho down.



Ranking of Second Set of Queens

7. Magnolia Crawford (eliminated)
6. Trinity K Bonet (top three)
5. Joslyn Fox (bottom three)
4. Bianca Del Rio (winner)
3. Courtney Act (safe)
2. Darienne Lake (bottom two)
1. Milk (top two)

I guess that begs the question: how do these queens match-up when they're pitted against one another? My personal order of preference at this point in the season is as follows:

14. Magnolia Crawford (eliminated)
13. Kelly Mantle (eliminated)
12. Trinity K Bonet
11. Joslyn Fox
10. Vivacious
9. April Carrion
8. Gia Gunn
7. Bianca Del Rio
6. Laganja Estranja
5. Adore Delano
4. Courtney Act
3. Darienne Lake
2. Ben DeLaCreme
1. Milk

Til next week: Happy Wig Wednesday!





No comments:

Post a Comment