Monday, May 26, 2014

Day CXI: Haiku Review

As some of you are perhaps aware, I would describe myself as "a reader."

Perhaps all of you are aware of that.

Last year, I undertook the Goodreads challenge for the first time. Basically, you set a goal, a number of books you'd like to read in a year. You track your progress, rate your books, and--if you'd like--review them. Now, I don't know about you, friend, but between video games, blogging, reading, running, hiking, biking, etc: writing a full review for everything I read can be a little daunting.

There's just not enough time!

But I don't give up easily; it's not in my nature. So rather than not write a full-length commentary, I stick to nineteen syllables: a haiku!

For the past twenty weeks, I've managed to read 1.15 books/week, which means I am three titles ahead of schedule. For now.

I thought I would share my personal list of the books so far, as well as some selected reviews. Maybe, if it's your cup of tea, you'll join me on Goodreads!


Twenty Books In

20. The Death of Bees
19. The Gunslinger
18. A Hologram for the King
17. Shadow and Bone
16. Tenth of December
15. At Night We Walk In Circles
14. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles
13. The One and Only Ivan
12. Boy, Snow, Bird
11. The Circle
10. Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief
9. The Golem and the Jinni
8. The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
7. We Were Liars
6. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
5. The Round House
4. The People in the Trees
3. Ready Player One
2. The Empathy Exams
1. A Tale for the Time Being

Even amidst her
remarkable self-doubt, each
essay leaves you floored.
-The Empathy Exams


To endure is an 
awfully big adventure 
worth every moment.  
 -We Were Liars

For anyone who
has had feelings: yes, we're all
neurotic messes.
-The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.


So compellingly 
readable even amidst 
so much discomfort.
-The People in the Trees

A terrifying 
look at the world and what it
might very well be.
-The Circle



No comments:

Post a Comment