Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day XI: Fish

Oh lawd, I am in a much better mood today. Exhaustion looks so good up on me. Somehow, going to bed at 2:30 AM before a work day put me in a much better mood than I have been over the last few days. Will someone please explain that to me? For a person who loves their sleep, I sure function at a happier level with less of it.

Life is weird.

Speaking of weird, I went to the Townhouse last night. For those not in the know, The Townhouse Bar is the oldest gay bar in St. Paul. It's basically a queer VFW. And if you've ever seen my eyes sparkle at VFW karaoke in uptown, you'll understand why I think the Townhouse might just be the happiest place on earth.

Every Wednesday, they host a spectacular event called Pumps & Pearls Revue. Basically, 6-8 drag queens perform three songs a piece for a mildly to excessively drunk audience. Dancing and lipsyncing and generally turning the party, these ladies are the true entertainters of the Twin Cities. It runs very late--clearly--but it's oh-so-worth the expense and exhaustion to watch some of the most high quality performance I've seen in the state.

So, there's a shameless plug. But I swear that's not what this post is about. It's more about a term I'd like you all to learn before heading over to our Drag Race viewing parties this spring.

The word of the day is: Fish.

Last night, Jamie Monroe--my friend and beloved drag mother--brought me out on to the stage to show off my walk. While hesitant and a little nervous, especially in a room of the most judgmental and lovely people you'll ever meet, I walked the stage on my tippy-tippy toes. And you know what? It wasn't that bad. Actually it was great because I LOVE ATTENTION.

Mid-walk, a member of the audience called out "Fish!"

And I was so flattered! You see, 'Fish,' in drag lingo, means to excel at looking very feminine. In drag: that's one hell of a compliment. Of course, they had to be joking, as I was definitely sporting my normal attire and a beard that I have been working so hard on, you guys.

Still! I thought: What a great way to teach a lesson! 

So there you have it. Have you learned it, children? Can we all use it in a sentence please?
FISH.

Courtney Act is the fishiest queen I believe I've ever seen. 

Are you guys at home getting it? You try one!

Aren't you so happy you'll have so much drag terminology at the end of these 100 days? You'll be gagging for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment