Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Day IX: Why?

Maybe I should have started with this.

I think I should probably explain to you, dear reader, how the 100 Days of Blogging came about. It sort of came out of the blue, no? One day you were sad and droll and dragging your feet. The next, you were rolling with laughter and grinning from ear to ear because everyone's favorite blogger is back with 100 guaranteed posts for the next one-hundred days. I know, I know: you're all so lucky.

In all seriousness, why blogging? Why now? Why for 100 days straight?

This year, I decided against making a New Year's Resolution. I never keep them and when I finally come to the realization that what I set out to do with a clean slate has fallen through the cracks, I end up in a dire pit of self-loathing and pizza-eating that doesn't break until my eyes are bloodshot and my blood has turned to sauce and crust. So why put myself through that shit? 

I think I'll pass.

Instead, I've opted to give myself a little birthday gift. February 3rd was exactly 100 days ahead of my birthday on May 14th. So, for the hundred days leading up to a moment I am positively dreading, I will be gifting myself a whole lot of writing. Additionally, I'm reading at least 20 pages of a book a day and exercising for a minimum of 20 minutes. Basically: I am trying to give myself the gift of esteem.

It's going to be tricky.

There are definitely moments I don't feel like writing or reading or working up a sweat. But this is going to be a stretch of time that I have promised to myself; this is some time to keep those negative voices at bay. We all have them: those stinky devils that sit on our shoulder and whisper how terrible you look in that shirt or how you're going nowhere with your life. I've had enough of them, and I am going to make an effort to get them the hell out. 

"the SHADE of it all"
It's going to be difficult. I know that.

But, god, I owe it to myself. I deserve to know where I can go and who I can be when I follow through with a goal I've set. 

In the words of Miss Latrice Royale:


"It's okay to make mistakes. It's okay to fall down. 
GET UP. LOOK SICKENING. AND MAKE THEM EAT IT. "

No comments:

Post a Comment